• Thursday, June 21, 2018

Valdes to coach at Rayo Majadahonda

Former Barcelona goalkeeper and Spain international Victor Valdes will join Rayo Majadahonda as a youth coach, say reports in Spain.

The 36-year-old is set to join the newly-promoted La Liga 123 club, according to Marca, and Media Base Sports – who recently completed a takeover of the club – are said to be influential in the move.

Valdes won six league titles and three Champions League crowns at the Camp Nou in 535 appearances across a 22-year stint at the club he joined initially as a 10-year-old.

After his departure from the Blaugrana in 2014 he had been set to join Monaco before an injury ruled out a move, and he eventually joined former boss Louis Van Gaal at Manchester United.

The goalkeeper could not take away the number one spot from David De Gea, had a brief stint on loan at Standard Liege and was released in unceremonious circumstances, before joining Middlesbrough under Aitor Karanka, whom he left after relegation last year.

Valdes also won 20 international caps for Spain.

 

 

Source:football-espana.net

GHALCA CALLS FOR EMERGENCY MEETING

The Ghana League Club Association (GHALCA) has invited all club owners, Chief Executive Officers and Representatives of the various clubs in the country to an emergency meeting scheduled to take place on Monday the 18th of June, 2018 at the GHALCA conference room in Accra, to review its position on the 10 days injunction slapped on it by the government of Ghana and also to fashion the way forward.

According to a statement issued and signed by chairman of the GHALCA, Kudjoe Fianoo, the meeting forms part of Ghalca’s undying drive in ensuring that the supreme interest of its members is well protected during these trying moments.

“This meeting forms part of Ghalca’s undying drive in ensuring that the supreme interest of our members is well protected in times such as this”, he added.

According to the chairman of Ghalca, Mr. Kudjoe Fianoo, the meeting will again be used to brief its members on the progress it has reached so far by the seven (7) member committee established to meet with the Youths and Sports Minister Hon. Isaac Asiamah in finding a lasting solution to the challenge the industry is challenged with apparently.

He’s called on all members of Ghalca to try as much as possible to make it to the meeting considering the fact that their views will be used in sampling of the next line of action.

“It is extremely important for you to attend this meeting in seeking your views and your inputs to be ultimately arrive at a conclusion that will inure to our collectives benefits as major stakeholders of the game”, he plainly stated.

 

 

Source:Naayirima Dery/wisetvonline.com.

KOTOKO COMMENDS ANAS

The Asante Kotoko football club has praised Anas Aremeyaw Anas and his Tiger Eye Team for exposing the rot in the Ghana Football Association which was spearheaded by President Kwasi Nyantakyi in the latest expose’ dubbed #Number 12 which centered on the activities of the GFA.

According to the club, it is dissatisfied with the manner in which referee Samuel Suker handled the match between the club’s opponent Accra Hearts of Oak and Kotoko played in the last season at the Accra Sports Stadium.

“We express our utter disgust and dissatisfaction about the conduct in which the referee involved in the match fixing scandal which resulted in the poor handling of some league matches notably our match against Accra Hearts of Oak handled by Samuel Suker played in Accra in the last season.”

The club says; the painful losses suffered by the club in the said match and other similar matches are irreplaceable irreversible and incalculable.

The club has however appealed to the security agencies not to leave any stone unturned in their quest to conducting further through investigations to get to the bottom line of the matter.

It has pledged its unflinching support and cooperation to any legitimate and laudable move to be taken by the government of the government of Ghana, FIFA, CAF and any local body mandated to inject sanity into the football administration in Ghana.

The club has also drawn the attention of government to the dire consequences the football clubs are likely to face especially the financial implications on club administrators if football activities are not restored within the shortest possible time.

It has also called on government to speed up the steps being put in place to help have a well-structured modernized transparent and clean football administration to steer the affairs of the game in a way that its lovers have been yearning for over the years.

This was contained in a press release issued by the Asante Kotoko Football Sporting club Limited and signed by its Executive Chairman   Dr. Kwame Kyei.

 

 

 

Source: Yaa Amoakowaa Yeboah/wisetvonline.com

5-MEMBER INTERIM COMMITTEE TO MANAGE GFA APPOINTED

Following the 10-day ban place by the Accra High Court on the activities of the Ghana Football Association (GFA), the Government of Ghana has put together a 5-member committee to manage the  affairs of football in the country.

According to a statement signed by Information Minister, Mustapha Hamid (PhD), the committee will oversee the management and lead the affaires at the GFA and other related matters, while more permanent measures are worked out to sanitize the local game.

The members of the committee are Dr. Kofi Amoah, Chairperson, Mr. Cudjoe Fianoo, Chairman of the Ghana League Clubs Association (GHALCA) as Secretary, Abedi Pele, former Black Stars skipper, member, Rev. Osei Kofi, former Black Stars player and Asante Kotoko player also a member and Eva Okyere, sports journalist a member.

The committee’s spokesperson is Peace FM’s sports journalist, Dan Kweku Yeboah.

Although the statement did not reveal the working period for the committee, it did say that the government would look for a more permanent injunction on the Ghana FA.

Kwesi Nyantakyi, who recently resigned as President of the GFA was caught on tape plotting to fleece the FA of sponsorship money while promising supposed investors access to President Akufo Addo for a fee.

He even went ahead to outline a blueprint laden with details how to bribe politicians in strategic positions in a bid to gain control of key projects within the country.

The State has filed a petition to have the GFA dissolved as well as a ten-day interim injunction to enable the State to prepare adequately to deal with the rot at the GFA following revelations from the documentary.

 

 

 

Source:Naayirima Dery/wisetvonline.com

Mexico defender Reyes out of World Cup

 

Diego Reyes has been unable to recover from injury and has been replaced in Mexico’s World Cup squad by Erick Gutierrez.

 

Mexico defender Diego Reyes will miss the World Cup after failing to recover from a hamstring injury.

The Porto centre-back sat out both friendly matches with Scotland and Denmark this month, but head coach Juan Carlos Osorio was keen to wait until as late as possible to give him the chance to prove his fitness.

However, a statement from the Mexican Football Federation has confirmed Reyes “was not able to satisfactorily complete his recovery” and will play no part in the finals in Russia.

He will be replaced in the squad by Pachuca’s versatile 22-year-old Erick Gutierrez.

Reyes struggled with fitness problems throughout 2017-18 but was still expected to be a key part of Osorio’s first-team plans.

Mexico were already without defender Nestor Araujo, who failed to recover from a knee injury in time for the tournament.

El Tri begin their campaign against holders Germany in Moscow on Sunday.

Source:Mexican Football Federation

COURT PLACES 10 DAYS BAN ON GHANA FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION

The Accra High court has placed 10 days ban on the Ghana Football Association (GFA) as petitioned by the Attorney General to seek for an ex-parte motion on the Association.

This according to reports is the first step government is taking to dissolve the current Ghana Football Association (GFA) and to establish a new one that will help redeem the image of Ghana Football and also boost Ghanaian confidence in the game.

The current GFA is likely to be dissolved as soon as possible.

Following the rot exposed by Anas Aremeyaw Anas and his TigerEye team on his latest investigative video #Number 12 on the football fraternity in Ghana, the first gentleman of the land and Commander in chief of the Arm Forces, His Excellency Nana Addo Dankwa Akuffo Addo, through the Youths and Sports Ministry headed by Mr. Isaac Asiamah is putting in measures aimed at dissolving the current GFA.

Mr. Nyantakyi resigned officially as the president of GFA last Friday and he has also pleaded with the President, Nana Addo Danquah Akuffo- Addo and the general public to forgive him for his mistakes and the shame he has brought on the country.

 

 

Source:Yaa Amoakoawaa Yeboah/wisetvonline.com

AG GOES TO COURT IN PROCESS TO DISOLVE GFA

The Attorney General Department will today Tuesday, June 12 go to court as the Government goes through the process in dissolving the Ghana Football Association as required by law.

The Minister of Information, Mustapha Hamid disclosed to the media that the Attorney General is heading to court with two petitions, thus, petition seeking to liquidate the GFA and secondly, the Attorney General seeks for an ex-parte motion (seeking an injunction to restrain the GFA from operations or doing any other form of business relating to football).

The Information Ministry communique debunks the Sports Ministry’s claim indicating that Government has dissolve the Ghana Football Association.

The next step of action by Government will follow in the coming days based on the court proceedings.

As FIFA frowns on Government’s interference in football issues, the decision taken by the Attorney General does not violate FIFA laws hence not attracting any ban from the Football Governing Body.

 

 

Source:Emmanuel Odei/wisetvonlinecom

NYANTAKYI’S RESIGNATION WAS LONG OVERDUE-NTOW- FIANKO

An astute Lawyer in Ghana football, Lawyer Kwame Ntow Fianko has stated that, Kwasi Nyantakyi’s resignation as the President of Ghana Football Association was long overdue.

His comment comes days after the CAF 1st vice president and FIFA executive council member Mr. Kwasi Nyantakyi was implicated in the Anas latest expose on corruption in football.

Following his implication in the Anas expose, FIFA on Friday issued a letter suspending Ghana’s Football Association President for 90 days from all Football related activities in the world.

Mr. Nyantakyi on the same Friday tendered in his letter resigning from his position as the FA president.

According to the outspoken Lawyer Ntow Fianko, he had advised Nyantakyi to step down as GFA President and concentrate on positions held at CAF and FIFA level but a section of football administrators shared different sentiments.

Fianko described those who were urging Nyantakyi to seek reelection in 2019 as ‘opportunistic dinosaurs’ before Nyantakyi received his unexpected suspension from FIFA.

The Ghana League Clubs Association will today hold an emergency meeting at 3pm today to discuss the way forward since football has come to a standstill in the country.

 

 

 

Source:Emmanuel Odei/wisetvonline.com

French Open 2018: Rafael Nadal not ‘crazy’ about catching Roger Federer

Rafael Nadal would love to surpass Roger Federer’s men’s record of 20 Grand Slam titles but says he is not “crazy” about catching his great rival.

World number one Nadal won his 17th major by lifting his 11th French Open title on Sunday, beating seventh seed Dominic Thiem 6-4 6-3 6-2.

“Of course I have ambition. But I can’t always be thinking of more,” he said.

Nadal, 32, is second behind Federer in the list of all-time Grand Slam titles, three clear of Pete Sampras in third.

Veteran pair Nadal and Federer have won the past six Grand Slams as their younger rivals struggle to dislodge them at the pinnacle of the game.

Federer, 36, skipped the clay-court season for the second successive year, but will return for the grass-court season which culminates at Wimbledon next month.

“You can’t be frustrated if somebody has more money than you, if somebody has a bigger house than you, if somebody has more Grand Slams than you,” said Nadal, who will be top seed at Wimbledon.

“I’ve never been crazy about this kind of stuff. You can’t live with that feeling. You have to do your way.

“I’d love to have 20 like Roger in the future or more, but it is not something in my mind. I know I’ve had an amazing career so I want to keep fighting for these things.”

                      ‘Tough times make this win special’Rafael Nadal wipes his eyes while holding his trophy

In a rare show of emotion, Nadal looked close to tears as he collected the Coupe des Mousquetaires again after beating Austrian Thiem.

He said it was because he had started the clay-court season with “some doubts” before going on to win a record-extending 11th title at Roland Garros.

Nadal did not play for more than two months after the Australian Open in January – where he withdrew from his quarter-final against Marin Cilic because of a hip injury.

He pulled out of planned appearances in Acapulco, Indian Wells and Miami before returning at the start of April for Spain’s Davis Cup tie against Germany.

It was his only appearance before winning the Masters title in Monte Carlo in April, backing that up with victory at the Barcelona Open and another Masters title in Rome.

“I had a lot of months with injury problems, so coming back to win is very special,” he said.

“I came back from five months without playing a full tournament.

“So coming back and having the chance to win in Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Rome, and now especially here, it’s very emotional for me.

“I arrived so-so, with some doubts about this clay-court season.”Dominic Thiem

Thiem says he is “confident” his first appearance in a Grand Slam final will not be his last.

The 24-year-old finally reached the Roland Garros showpiece after losing in the semi-finals in 2016 and 2017.

“That’s my biggest goal, to get into the next one and then to do it better than today,” he said.

“Of course it’s going to be easier, a little bit, because it’s not going to be the first time anymore.”

Thiem is the only player to have beaten Nadal on clay in the past two years – winning in best-of-three set matches in Rome and Madrid.

However, he fell to a third successive straight-set defeat by the Spaniard at the French Open.

Thiem lost to Nadal in the second round on his Roland Garros debut in 2014, then again in last year’s semi-finals.

“I think it was the first time against him here in Roland Garros where it was a fight,” said Thiem, who told Nadal he remembered being 11 years old and watching the Spaniard win his first title in 2005.

“Honestly, I never expected that one day I would play the finals here so I am still really happy.

“Winning 11 times is definitely one of the best things somebody ever achieved in sport.”

 

 

 

Source:bbc sports

The Post Recommends

This is Photoshop’s version of Lorem Ipsum. Proin gravida nibh vel

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a...

11 months ago

This is Photoshop’s version of Lorem Ipsum. Proin gravida nibh vel

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a...

11 months ago

This is Photoshop’s version of Lorem Ipsum. Proin gravida nibh vel

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a...

11 months ago

This is Photoshop’s version of Lorem Ipsum. Proin gravida nibh vel

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a...

11 months ago

Sports The Washington Post Sports section provides sports news, video, scores, analysis and updates about high school, college, and pro sports teams, including the Capitals, Nationals, Redskins, United and Wizards. Post Sports also offers blogs and discussions about the latest sports news.